Shiraz Barossa South Australia
Established 1847 by Johann August Frederick Fiedler, much of the credit for the finest Shiraz in the world is due to old vines such as Turkey Flat. Dry grown and gnarled, their roots extend metres into the soil in search of moisture. That they still exist is largely due to a far sighted quarantine scheme, as South Australia was spared the phylloxera outbreak which devastated vineyards around the world in the late 1800s. After five generations of stewardship by the Schulz family, a small parcel of fruit from the original 1847 vines is bottled as a superior vintage release.
The historic Turkey Flat property, located within Section One of the Hundred of Moorooroo, is planted to rich, alluvial soils, adjacent to Bethany Creek at Tanunda. The site was sold to Gottlieb Ernst Schulz in 1865, a successful butcher who established a thriving retail business among the vines. Butchering developed into dairying, but the vineyards were always kept, until Peter and Christie Schulz made the transition from fruit growing to winemaking. The distinctive script on the Ancestor label is drafted from the 1888 Schulz family butchers ledger, discovered while restoring the Turkey Flat property in 1992.